Flash Carbon KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly ROM for Cricket Samsung Galaxy S3
Carbon KitKat Nightlies are now live for the Cricket Galaxy S3. Use this guide in order to learn how to successfully update your device.
This is a custom ROM that is based on AOSP Android 4.4.2. It packs features from other popular custom ROMs, such as CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android and AOKP builds. More info about this release can be found at Carbon-ROM web page here.
Carbon KitKat Nightlies is the first stage of this ROM and one that it cannot be said that it is very stable. Use this new build only for testing purposes and keep an eye open for future Stable Carbon KitKat builds releases.
Before starting the installation you should read the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Cricket model.
- do not update any other devices using the files that I’ve listed in this post.
- Your device has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM Recovery.
- TWRP Recovery will work too.
> note that in the tutorial you will find info on how to flash the new ROM using CWM, but the TWRP can be used if you carefully apply the corresponding actions.
- no matter which custom Recovery version you use, you should make sure that you update it to its latest build.
- Create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS.
- this will set a restore point for your phone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- this step is listed in the tutorial, you won’t miss it.
- Factory Reset is also required for this tutorial, so you will manage to apply a clean installation of Carbon ROM.
- Factory Reset wipes all data from your device’s system partition while leaving the internal / external storage unaffected.
- this process is listed in the tutorial.
- Backup data from installed applications, SMS text messages and other similar files using Helium tool for Android => guide here.
- Sync all your Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- info here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This is a guide for advanced users, so you shouldn’t attempt to update your device in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- In case you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments.
- Check your device’s battery power and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a KitKat ROM for your device.
- Download the latest KK build of this ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for this Android 4.4.2 custom ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- when both files are copied with success you can disconnect the phone from PC.
> do not unzip the contents of the files.
- Power off your phone now and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you should take a look at this post.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’ option, set a name for the file and confirm process.
> do not skip this step.
- Next, apply the factory Reset for your device:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> do not skip this action.
- Now you can flash the brand new Carbon KK 4.4.2 Nightly ROM for your Cricket Galaxy S3:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM zip and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM is installed you need to repeat the step 7 actions and flash the Gapps zip too.
- After all files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device now in normal mode.
- this process shouldn’t take more than ten minutes.
- Enter your Google Account info when the main menu of Carbon KitKat Nightly ROM appears.
> test all the new features and functions added by this new ROM and then tell us in comments how is your device working with them.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation. If you have any other questions, then it would be best if you’d use the comments field below.
In case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode with your device, then you will be forced to repeat the guide more than once. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that you will apply ‘factory reset’. Also, it would be best for you to use the ‘format /system’ option too.
If you don’t like the new Carbon Android 4.4.2 KK Nightly or how it works with your Galaxy S3 Cricket model, then it would be best for you to restore the phone to its previous ROM using the file created in step 5.